Wednesday 29 August 2012

Mutton Kolhapuri


Inspired by the recipe from
India Cookbook by Pushpesh Pant

1kg F&B Mutton, Lamb or Goat diced
Olive oil
8 cloves
2 tsp whole black peppercorns
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 star anise
7-8 dried chillies
2 large onions, chopped
1 ½ cups shredded dried coconut
1 400g tin tomatoes with added tomato paste
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
Bunch coriander, chopped
Salt

For the marinade
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp grated garlic
2 tsp grated ginger

I put the meat on to marinate and prepared the masala paste in the morning before I went to work – lucky me I know, but otherwise do it the night before.

Put the meat in a large bowl and mix through the marinade mix then leave in the fridge for a minimum of 3-4 hours.

Heat 2 tblsp oil in a heavy based pan over a medium heat then add the spices and fry for about 2 minutes.  Add the onions and cook until they’re starting to go brown.  Stir through the coconut and tin of tomatoes, season with salt then cook for a couple of minutes.  Allow to cool in the pan.  As the weather is cool at the mo I covered the saucepan and left it until I came home, but if you’re uncomfortable with that, pop it in the fridge.

Once the mixture is cool, blitz in a blender (or lucky me, a Magimix that himself gifted me) until smooth(ish).  I actually pulled out 3 of the dried chillies and de-seeded them (as they can be quite hot) then threw the flesh back into the blitz mix.



Heat another couple of tablespoons of oil in the same pot that you’ve wiped out then brown the meat.  Add back in the masala paste and 500ml hot water then bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer.

While the meat is cooking deep fry the potato cubes at about 170 Celsius until golden.

Cook the meat for 1 – 1 ½ hours or until tender.  Add more salt to taste.  Stir through the cooked potatoes and the fresh coriander.

Serve with lacha paratha (I buy the frozen jobbies from my local Indian store and cook them in my sandwich press for just over 2 minutes until just brown but still soft)

No comments:

Post a Comment